Thursday, January 23, 2014

Great Escape from Death

UV 993/10,000 Great Escape from Death O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. Psalm 30 v 3 http://liveindia.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/images/rajiv-death_052111085832.jpg The recent judgement of the Supreme Court commuting the death sentence of those on death row having implications for the convicted prisoners in the Rajiv Gandhi Assassination case reminded me of how the Lord had spared my life in the world’s first “Human bomb “ and prevented me from going down prematurely to the grave. Yesterday, I could re-tell my story to more than a thousand students and hundred and fifty teachers in a rural school. The Principal had heard me several years ago in a training session and was keen on inviting me over to the school to speak to the students. I was happy to learn from the founder of the school that after attending my session on leadership, this young principal ‘s life began to change dramatically. I felt vindicated that the Lord had spared my life as a Father spares His son in order to fulfil His purpose. I recall that some time in 1993 when I attended the funeral of an elderly relative, the Lord turned my eye to the neighbouring graves and to my utter surprise I saw that both the gravestones had the same date as my own missed tryst with death- 21st May , 1991. I looked closer and I found that both had perished at Sriperumbudur in the blast. The Lord was telling me through this apparent coincidence- “ If I had not spared your life, your bones would now be lying here. So now make good use of your life to bring the hope of eternal life into the hearts of many.” When I survived in the blast, a faithful friend of mind wrote saying, “ This is a dramatic confirmation of God’s purpose for your life.” Had I perished in Sriperumbudur, only my near and dear would have remembered me with tears. But since the Lord kept His covenant with me to keep me alive, I am now remembered for bringing hope into people’s lives, for augmenting the faith of many. I am a witness of the saving grace and mercy of the Redeemer. King David escaped death several times in his life both as a young shepherd, at the hands of the giant Goliath, at the hands of the envious and hostile King Saul. He even faced the threat of death and usurpation from his own son Absalom. He faced death on the frontlines of battle with hostile neighbours and kingdoms of the age. He wrote this uni-verse based on his experience that it is the Lord who not only daily helps us bear our burdens but that escape from death comes from the Lord. Yet when the time came He did not spare His most precious Son Jesus knowing that His death would be for the eternal redemption of many. Scripture says that the Lord will give people in exchange for our lives. It is written that He would preserve us like a valuable jewel. Some of the police men and women I posted on security duty on the night of May 21st, 1991 had perished. This might seem unfair but the Lord’s decision is sovereign and His will is higher than that of any Supreme Court or any other authority of any country. It is not necessary that a person should go through this kind of traumatic experience to realize that God had kept us alive for a specific purpose far beyond the fulfilment of our earthly or physical needs but my experience drives home the point. Have we pondered for a moment –why did God endow mankind alone of all species with a mind, the capacity to believe and trust and mouth, tongue and vocal chords to speak? Our mind is to be used to know God, our hearts to believe Him and our mouths to thank, praise Him, talk to Him and to proclaim His faithfulness. This is the specific purpose for which He has given us life and spared our lives many a time. Prateep V Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment