Monday, October 8, 2012

On Obtaining Official Favour

UV 542/10,000 On Obtaining Official Favour :Nehemiah 1 v 11 “O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king’s cupbearer.” Nehemiah occupied a position of trust with the king of Persia. Yet, he went into his presence preceded by prayer and reverence. He first prayed to the King of kings and sought His favour. He acknowledged that though he served the king as his trusted cupbearer, he was in truth the servant of the Almighty God whom He desired to fear. He did not reluctantly fear God but He wholeheartedly delighted in fearing the Lord. He trusted in the king but he trusted more in the power and goodness of God. When we need to meet decision makers or people in position and authority, we need to go into the presence of God and ask the Lord to likewise prosper us. Believers should not develop an other-worldly attitude. Instead, they must aspire for positions of trust and authority where they can be a positive influence for the kingdom of God. The other day a pastor was telling me that a youngster told him that more than the testimony of a pastor or evangelist, when a person in position like me testifies to the goodness of God and the truth of the gospel, he would be more inclined to believe. He said, “ a cricket ball costs say Rs 100/- but in the hands of Sachin Tendulkar it is quite different and valuable as compared with being handled by an ordinary player of cricket.” Yesterday, a believer referred by someone else met me. He was burdened for the plight of another longtime partner of a home for destitutes. The latter was suddenly arrested and remanded to jail over a land deal that he had executed in good faith some twenty years ago. Though the matter did not directly fall in my area of authority or jurisdiction, I was moved and convinced to do something to help the man get bail. I therefore called the District Superintendent and requested him to use his good offices as I felt that there was a miscarriage of justice. I realized that the Lord had kept me in this position to be of help in such situations. My mere call was enough often to help such people out of desperate situations. Prateep V Philip

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for saints like you.

    While driving to office this morning, I read out your mail and the message contained therein, to my wife. We both jointly praised God for you. We are touched by the profound words, the Spirit of God has put in your heart to share with us all. Truly God has placed you in such high places for a purpose.
    Quite frankly tears welled in my eyes as I read the passage and how the Lord is using you for the benefit of God's children.
    Such positions and the power and authority to discharge responsibilities at your disposal is a great gift and privilege from God and to know that you are using this for His glory and for the benefit of His children, my wife and I are so touched by your testimony.
    As soon as I finished reading your mail to my wife, we both jointly said, "How nice that God is using him.".

    I prayed for you Bro, just now as I reached my office and asked God to use you more.

    Truly I have not had the privilege to meet you so far, though I have seen you at a distance a couple of years ago, in my daughter's school, St Vincents High School in Choolaimedu, my longing to see you and spend time with you, is increasing by the day. I am sure the Lord in His own time and will, will make this possible.

    Till then we will uphold you in our prayers and may the God of Joseph and the God of Daniel be with you prospering all that you do, so that His name is always glorified and you will always find favour in all the areas that you discharge your responsibilities.

    Praise be to His name for ever and ever, AMEN.

    God bless you and be with you,
    Samuel Abraham

    ReplyDelete